About Me

My photo
Murlough is cared for as Ireland's first nature reserve since 1967, the fragile 6000 year old sand dune system offers some lovely walks. Due to the reserves wild nature you can discover birds, flowers, butterflies and more, all overlooked by the rounded peaks of the Mourne Mountains to the south.

Wednesday 20 November 2013

Volunteer Profile

Hello, my name is Rebekah Stevenson and I am studying BSc Hons Countryside and Environmental Management at Harper Adams University. I currently am on my placement year and have been a volunteer assistant ranger at Murlough NNR for nearly 5 months.

Since being at Murlough I have gained experience in strimming, brushcutting, habitat management, general site management, fencing, boardwalk repairs, tool maintenance and a variety of surveys including butterfly transects, vegetation surveys, seals and bird counts. I have also been involved in ‘Wild Child’ a summer scheme which allowed me to work with the general public and passed my Safe Tractor Driving Course.

This placement has allowed me to gain confidence in my own abilities and gain valuable practical experience in a variety of tasks. Working at Murlough is hard work but the team is supportive and the work is rewarding. 

In the future I would like to be involved in countryside education or become a countryside officer for a large conservation organisation or government department. Although, I would love to volunteer for conservation projects abroad at some point as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment